CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The joys of fall

I just realized that I rarely blog if I don't have any pictures to share. That's so silly since there are things to share all the time! So here goes...
A few days ago we all went out to dinner (which is always an adventure). When we got home we decided (Dani decided) we should play outside a bit. We hardly ever venture outside in the evenings anymore, which is a shame since the weather is beautiful now in the evenings. Dani and I found ourselves in the way back of the yard where all the pretty yellow and brown leaves have fallen. So I took advantage and taught Dani how to swoosh through the leaves. WHAT A SOUND!!!!!! I'm convinced that the sound of dried leaves, the smell of fall, the soft evening light, and the crisp cool air is the ideal portal to back to childhood. I was immediately 6 years old with my mom, walking on Bennett Street. Going back in the house, I half expected a cup of hot chocolate with mini-marshmallows and some of Amma's Special K bars, but I guess I had already gone back through the portal... cuz a dirty diaper and whiny baby brought me back to reality. It was good while it lasted! And the thought of her someday teaching her daughter to swoosh through the leaves left me with some very watery eyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite post you've ever submitted (not that I don't love to see pictures of Dani though!!).

Stef

Jill said...

Isn't this time of year wondeful and what a sweet memory for you both!

Erica said...

Thanks guys... that's sweet!